Monday 13 January 2014

Took some time, but it was worth it...

Okay.
It will take some time.
It will take some effort.
Bouillabaisse.

noun: bouillabaisse
  1. a rich, spicy stew or soup made with various kinds of fish, originally from Provence.

    So, first take some fresh tomatoes, sit them in boiling water for a couple of minutes.
 

Peel the skin off the tomatoes.

Chopped up tomatoes, chopped onions and garlics, fresh basil, parsley, oregano,
fish stock, salt and pepper...

Once it was all cooked and slightly thickened, I took a hand blender to it.
It was all thick and gorgeous!
Tasted, adjusted seasoning, and all good to go...

Making rouille, a fresh garlicky mayonnaise.
In a blender, egg yolks, garlic, tomato paste, Dijon mustard, olive oil, fresh basil
and salt and pepper...

For the fish part of the dish I am using,
blue crabs...

snapper fillet,
mussels,
prawns...

I par cooked the prawns and snapper...

I cooked a couple of potatoes, let them cool
and then mashed them...

Mix some of the garlicky mayonnaise into the mashed potatoes...

I toasted some thin slices of sourdough bread, then spread some of the garlicky
mayonnaise on them...

In a really, really huge bowl I started layering the fish as I gently cooked it in the soup...



When all the fish was cooked and layered in the bowl, I layed raw oysters, in their shells,
over the top of the cooked fish.
I then layed the bread pieces on the top.
Over the top of all the layers I then poured the soup.

Voila!
Delicious, finger sucking fish for all.
Lots of bread dunking was done, as well as lots of slurping of appreciation...

ps everyone loved it all...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...